Ways to improve your language skills during the summer
María del Mar Román, coordinadora bilingüe, profesora inglés.
How can you improve your English or French this summer ?
Learning a language is great fun but it is also hard work. During the summer you have time to improve your language skills. Here you can find some ideas to do so !
- Are you going to travel abroad with your parents ? Become their translator. Use all what you have learnt in the class throughout the year. Asking for the food, buying a ticket, asking for directions, … you will be the star in every situation.
- Speak a little English or French every day. It doesn’t matter if you are a beginner or a fluent speaker, speaking a language with another person is the fastest and most effective method to improve. You can find a native speaker and offer him or her a language exchange. That means that you spend around 30 minutes speaking in English or French and 30 minutes in Spanish.
- Carry a dictionary. It can be an actual book or a phone application. You can use it while you are waiting for the bus or just having a coffee. With this easy technique you could learn a few words everyday !
- Listen to an English or French radio station or podcasts. You can do it while you are doing sports ! Don’t worry if you do not understand everything, picking out key words and phrases or getting the general idea is enough to start with.
- Watch English or French movies and TV shows. You can go to some cinemas which offer the movies in original version or just at home there is a possibility to change the language of the emission.
- Read the newspaper, a magazine or a book in a foreign language. You can find them in your local library or online. Thousands or new stories are waiting for you !
- Keep a diary in English or French. At the end of the day you can describe the most exciting things that happened to you ; and do not worry if you make a mistake ! Nobody will read it !
All in all, you have plenty of opportunities to go on learning languages and make the most of your summer !